- Receipt for Real Estate Transfer Tax Payments
- Application for Exemption from Real Estate Transfer Tax
- For more detailed information on the Town of Telluride Real Estate Transfer Tax please refer to the Municipal Code (sections 4-3-10 to 4-3-200).
- For questions regarding the Town of Telluride, transfer tax contact Finance Director or call (970) 728-2163.
Sales Tax and Excise Tax
The Town of Telluride, a home rule municipality, self collects sales and excise tax. The sales tax rate is 4.5%. One-half percent of this sales tax is for the purpose of funding affordable housing. Colorado State sales tax is 2.9%, San Miguel County sales tax is 1%, and San Miguel Authority for Regional Transportation sales tax is 0.25%. The total combined tax to be collected on retail sales and furnishing of certain services is 8.65%.
The Town of Telluride has a 2% excise tax on lodging and the sale of food or drink in any restaurant or bar. The purpose of this tax is for funding the airline guarantee program. Effective January 1, 2022 The Town will impose a 2% Town Lodgers' Tax on room rentals or accommodations for a period of twenty-nine days or less. This tax is for the purpose of funding activities related to tourism or marketing, managing the effects of tourism on the community, or for other Town purposes, including, but not limited to, improving transportation services, improving the Town's wastewater treatment facility and affordable housing, as determined by Town Council.
All bookings are subject to a 2.5% excise tax on the amount charged to any person leasing a short-term rental in the Town of Telluride. This tax does not apply, however, to hotel units, accommodations, or other short-term rental units having a tax classification of commercial property by the San Miguel County Assessor. This tax is for the purpose of funding affordable housing and affordable housing programs. The total tax to be collected on short-term rentals is 15.15%
|Sales Tax- Entity||Sales Tax Percentage|
|San Miguel Authority for Regional Transit, (SMART)||0.25%|
|State of Colorado||2.90%|
|San Miguel County||1.00%|
|Town of Telluride||4.50%|
|Excise Tax (paid to Town of Telluride)||Excise Tax Percentage|
|Food and Lodging||2.00%|
|Short Term Rental||2.50%|
|Town Lodgers' Tax||Tax Percentage|
|Town of Telluride||2.00%|
|Total Tax||Total paid to town|
Notice to Short-Term Rentals
The Town of Telluride does not have agreements with either VRBO or Airbnb to collect local taxes. You should collect all local tax for the Town of Telluride on your short-term rental bookings and remit those taxes through your online MUNIRevs account.
Notice to Business Owners
Telluride uses a paperless licensing and tax remittance system, MUNIRevs. This program will process excise and sales taxes as well as business, sales tax and excise tax licenses. To register, please follow the instructions for creating a new account or for existing businesses to link to their business account.
For assistance with creating your MUNIRevs account, contact their support department by email or calling (888) 751-1911. Start the registration process and entering payments today.
- For more detailed information on Town of Telluride Sales and Excise Taxes please refer to the Municipal Code (sections 4-2-10 to 4-2-820 and 4-4-10 to 4-4-180). If you need additional information please contact Lisa Sims, (970) 728-8453.
- For information or questions regarding the State of Colorado sales tax and/or San Miguel County sales tax contact the Colorado Department of Revenue by calling (303) 238-7378.
- For information on business licenses visit the Clerk's Department.