Excess fats, oils & grease (FOG) are a problem in Telluride's sewage collection and treatment system. The proper disposal of FOG is very important!
There is a FOG Management Ordinance in place to help prevent the introduction of FOG into the municipal waste stream.
Please take the time to follow these simple rules:
- Dry wipe pots, pans and dishware with a paper towel prior to dishwashing
- Do not put food waste down the drain
- Recycle cooking oil or pour it onto a paper towel or newspaper
- Make sure everyone in your home knows how to dispose of FOG properly
Food Service Establishments
Any food service establishment that introduces fats, oils or grease into the drainage and sewage system is required to have a grease control device.
Problems caused by FOG disposal:
- Creates a hazard for our Wastewater Operators
- Increases the risk of a sewer backup in your home
- Increases the risk of a sewer overflow at the wastewater plant