- Always keep your polycart (trash can) locked.
- Bag trash tightly to contain odors.
- Clean polycart with a bleach solution.
- Keep pet food inside.
- Keep barbecue grills clean.
- Never leave food in a vehicle.
- Lock downstairs doors and windows.
If bears do not forage successfully in town, they will then move on to areas that provide them with the food they need to hibernate through the winter. Houses have been “broken into” by bears looking for food. Imagine the unpleasant surprise of coming home to a bear eating ice cream out of your freezer and the mess they created to locate the tastiest items!
Keeping the town clean also serves to minimize skunks and rodents who thrive near humans because of our messy ways.