FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Short-Term Rental Business License & Regulatory Fees Established
First reading of an ordinance establishing short-term rental policy passes 4-2
(October 5, 2023) – Telluride, CO --- Telluride Town Council passed the first reading of an ordinance amending the Telluride Municipal Code to establish categories, reduced business license fees, an administrative fee, and a regulatory fee for short-term rental licenses. The ordinance will go to a second reading on Tuesday, October 24.
The amendment comes as Telluride Question 2D, which established a moratorium on new short-term rental licenses, will expire on November 2, 2023. In preparation, the Town held a handful of meetings and open houses throughout July and August to inform Town Council work sessions surrounding future short-term rental policy held on August 1, August 21, September 12, and September 21. A Council majority agreed to allow 2D to expire, not implement licensing caps in any zone districts, reduce short-term rental business license fees, implement an admin fee, implement a regulatory fee, and add licensing categories with different fee structures.
If passed at the second reading, the key changes include:
- STR Business License Fees: Business license fees return to amounts charged before 2D passed in 2021.
- Lodging Business License: $66 per sleeping room
- Accommodations Business License (STRs): $165 per year plus $22 per sleeping room
- STR License Categories: Classic, Limited (Limited to a cumulative of 29 nights), Residential (Residential Zone District limitations), Mid-term, Long-term
- STR Administrative Fee: $288 per license
- STR Regulatory Fee: 40% Regulatory Fee at $857 per bedroom.
- Limited, Residential, and Lodging licenses are exempt.
The Town plans to post the Tuesday, October 24 Town Council agenda on Wednesday, October 18, which can then be found online at bit.ly/totcouncil. To submit public comment regarding any agenda item, please email email@example.com no later than Thursday, October 19.
Learn more about the Town of Telluride Short-Term Rental Study and the process that led to this first reading by visiting bit.ly/totstrstudy.
# # #
Cell: (303) 319-6448
A former Victorian mining town in southwest Colorado’s San Juan Mountains, Telluride was incorporated in 1977 as a home-rule municipality. Set in a box canyon amid forested peaks at the base of the popular Telluride ski-and-golf resort, the town’s historic district houses landmarks like the Sheridan Opera House, a performing arts venue originally built in 1913, and the Telluride Historical Museum, which showcases local history in a converted hospital built in 1896. For more information, please visit us online at telluride-co.gov.