FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Town Council Passes Amendments Lifting Suspension on Certain Building Applications
Land Use Code amendments approved regarding basements and steep lots, limiting consolidation and aggregation of certain lots
(August 24, 2023) – Telluride, CO --- The Town Council of the Town of Telluride passed an amendment to the Land Use Code surrounding basements and steep lots as well as an amendment limiting the consolidation and aggregation of certain lots. The passing of these amendments in turn lifts the six-month suspension on certain building applications one month before its expiration on September 28.
Since the suspension went into effect in March, Town staff has workshopped revisions to the Land Use Code in thirteen meetings between meetings of the Planning & Zoning Commission, the Historic & Architectural Review Commission, and Telluride Town Council. Four amendments have passed to:
- amend the list of public benefits that can be offered in return for a Planned Unit Development (PUD);
- establish an absolute residential size limit for the Residential/Commercial Zone District;
- comprehensively examine the language to clarify and incorporate the interpretation of previously approved Ballot Question 300, passed by the voters in 2015, into the LUC;
- eliminate the new construction of double basements in residential zone districts.
The building application suspension, which allowed staff, HARC, and P&Z time to identify potential issues with the current Land Use Code and propose amendments, will be lifted tomorrow, Friday, August 25. Town staff will again accept building applications pertaining to:
- Planned Unit Developments (PUDs)
- lot line vacations
- Residential/Commercial Zone District
- certain basements on the sloped Hillside lots in Hillside Transitional, Hillside Developing One and Two, Residential and Historic Residential Zone Districts
For a full list of ordinances that were passed to amend the Land Use Code during the suspension period, please visit bit.ly/totlucamend. For more information regarding Town of Telluride building applications or to submit a building application after the suspension is lifted, please visit bit.ly/totbuilding.
# # #
Cell: (303) 319-6448
A former Victorian mining town in southwest Colorado’s San Juan Mountains, Telluride was incorporated in 1977 as a home-rule municipality. Set in a box canyon amid forested peaks at the base of the popular Telluride ski-and-golf resort, the town’s historic district houses landmarks like the Sheridan Opera House, a performing-arts venue originally built in 1913, and the Telluride Historical Museum, which showcases local history in a converted hospital built in 1896. For more information, please visit us online at telluride-co.gov.