Pursuant to terms of the Town of Telluride’s water rights decree entered on December 12, 2002, in Case No. 96CW313 in the District Court in and for Water Division No. 4, the Town hereby implements water conservation measures to reduce its demand and the Town’s impact on the San Miguel River as follows:
Pursuant to the provisions of Telluride Municipal Code Section 13-5-40, the following restrictions are hereby ordered. All residents and businesses are asked to come into immediate compliance with these measures. The Town apologizes for the inconveniences caused by these restrictions and is appreciative of your understanding and cooperation.
- Persons are urged to conserve water in every possible way in their homes and businesses;
- Washing of public or private sidewalks, driveways, parking areas, tennis courts, patios or other hard surfaces with municipal treated water shall be prohibited (the Town’s use of non-treated well water for such purposes is exempted);
- Power washing of structures with municipal treated water shall be prohibited (commercial power washing of structures will be allowed when necessary for exterior painting and related repairs);
- Filling, refilling or replacement of water in swimming pools, hot tubs or landscape water features with municipal treated water shall be prohibited (Town Park pool shall be exempted; the addition of water to public or private pools, hot tubs or water features to make up for evaporative losses is exempted);
- Noncommercial washing of privately owned cars or other motor vehicles, trailers or boats with municipal treated water shall be prohibited, unless by bucket; and,
- Use of municipal treated water for commercial car washes shall be prohibited, although commercial car washing which is programmed or operated to minimize water consumption (approximately 23 gallons per wash) will be allowed.
Violations of the above restrictions shall be subject to fines in accordance with Section 13-5-50 of the Municipal Code. Thank you for your cooperation in this significant matter. The restrictions imposed pursuant to this Administrative Order are expected to be of limited duration and estimated to be two (2) to four (4) weeks in length. This Administrative Order will be lifted and/or rescinded by subsequent action of the Town Manager.
Issued this 10th day of January 2022.